Friday, January 25, 2013

A sense of freedom

I saw this news story this morning on the BBC News website: Wilko Johnson: terminal cancer has made me feel alive.

What he describes about the elation of feeling the wind on your face is exactly what I felt when I received my much less devastating diagnosis. I remember driving into the hills just to look at the view and to celebrate being able to do that.

A cancer diagnosis really does make you think about what's important in life; how much more so if you know that it's terminal. Well worth reading. The human spirit is amazing.

1 comment:

Karen New said...

Although I've not had cancer - I can relate to 'feeling the wind on your face'.

Last year, a family holiday to the States took an unexpected turn, after I collapsed with chest pains and was taken to hospital with a suspected pulmonary embolism (which turned out to be pneumonia).

When I finally got out of hospital - still on medication, weak and somewhat shell-shocked by the whole experience - the sky really had never seemed bluer, the sun brighter - and I had never been more grateful to have another opportunity to feel the wind on my face.