Sunday, March 10, 2013

Life goes on

It's strange that even though I say I don't want to be defined by my cancer, it seems to have become part of me that lurks in the shadows and leaps out when I'm not expecting to hear from it. Although fully recovered, there's a corner of my mind where irritation lurks; I find myself feeling resentful at unexpected moments about the fact my cancer wasn't caught sooner, even though I did all the 'right' things to bring it to the attention of medical personnel. It  really is time to move on, but it's not easy to let go when the world won't let you forget; 

  • almost every time I have a medical appointment, the doctor says, 'Hmmm, I think I'll refer you to x' because I have, say, a twinge in my big toe! 
  • when I try to get travel insurance, the insurer tells me that I have to pay an enormous premium against having a recurrence of endometrial cancer (yes, I know I can't get that one again, you know it, but for some reason the insurance industry doesn't understand the implications of their policy and they get very iffy when I tell them I'll take my chances about that happening again, given I've had the responsible organs removed).
  • if I apply for a job, more often than not I'm asked if I consider myself disabled and the notes for the application point out that anyone who's had cancer is disabled. Dilemma! Do I say yes, I'm disabled (I don't think I am) or do I say no and run the risk, should I be appointed, of being dismissed for not having told the truth as they see it (it's not the truth as I see it)?
  • it seems now that every time I turn on the TV or listen to the radio or read a newspaper or magazine, I'm assailed by a cancer charity of some description asking me for money
  • and then there are the plastic bags shoved through the letterbox - despite the 'No cold callers, addressed mail only' notices on the door - asking for clothing donations, or unaddressed envelopes asking for cash donations..
I've said it before: I don't want to be defined by my cancer, I don't want to feel angry and resentful each time a charity collection request is made. I want to move on and live.

But how can I do that when the world won't let me forget or at least set aside that part of my life for a while?

No comments: