Thursday, November 15, 2012

How to stress your patients...

How long can it possibly take to return the results of a mammogram? Two weeks ago, against my better judgement, given the recent reports on the efficacy of this screening programme, I shimmied into the caravan in the car park and submitted myself to the tender mercies of the radiologists. The literature they thrust into my hand after I'd unstuck myself from the glass plates (what do they use to clean those? Glue?) said I'd have my results in '2-3 weeks but phone if they haven't come in 4 weeks'. 

I've done this before; last time, the results were back in less than 2 weeks. This year, my neighbour's results were back in less than 2 weeks. I am now at 2 weeks and no results. I am very, very stressed! Admittedly, my GP warned me results were likely to take longer than 2 weeks, so I was partly forewarned, but it doesn't help my stress levels. 

When another friend informed me that 'if there's anything wrong, your GP will phone you. They won't tell you by letter and they'll tell you quickly', I cheered up a bit. And then I remembered; the last smear test I had before my cancer diagnosis (and I did tell the consultant there was little point in doing it under the circumstances, but he insisted) took four weeks for the results to arrive, and then it was a recall (oh, what a surprise, given a) the circumstances were that the sample would be contaminated and b) given the type of cancer I had, it wouldn't have shown up in that test anyway).  There was no phone call that time, presumably because it went through the hospital consultant not my local health centre. So, now, not only am I climbing the walls waiting for the post to arrive in the morning, but I'm also leaping into the air every time the phone rings...

This time, I'm fairly sure there is no problem, but though my head knows this, my adrenalin doesn't! There really has to be a better way.

No comments: