Sunday, November 04, 2012

The elephant emerges?

I have spent a lot of time telling everyone I meet how important it is not to avoid talking about cancer. We have to refer to it, to reduce its power and the shadow it throws over all our lives. Visiting my GP for a flu vaccination last week, I went into my usual rant on this theme and, to my joy, she agreed with me and even suggested organisations I could contact to share my own experiences. The tip of the grey, wrinkly trunk was suddenly visible!

This morning, I heard a very short interview on a radio news programme; a woman was talking openly about her experience of chemotherapy, how she despaired but was then humbled by hearing Bob Champion, the jockey, discussing his experience. She saw it as not the end of the journey but just one of the stages along the way. It was a moving interview. It was an interview of a type I haven't heard before. Mostly, we hear, see and read two types of cancer-related items: 1) the terrible family tragedy and 2) the brave, but ultimately unsuccessful 'battle' against cancer. This was neither of those. It was a candid account of the highs and the lows of undergoing treatment. Maybe not only is the tip of the grey, wrinkly trunk emerging, but perhaps also a toenail...

Meanwhile, I'm awaiting the results of a routine mammogram; I wonder if health professionals realise what worries this procedure conjures, particularly in the wake of recent reports that suggest there is very little benefit and rather more harm that has previously been admitted, to the government screening programme. I raised the reports with the radiologist; her response was, 'Well, wouldn't you rather have an unnecessary operation than get cancer?' All things considered, I don't think I would. I know cancer isn't the end of things - an unnecessary operation with all its attendant risks, might carry higher risks, not to mention the risks of the screening test itself. How different a response from that from my GP. I also discussed the reports with her. She put no pressure on me, she didn't become defensive in the way the radiologist did (though the radiologist did try to hide it, she didn't really succeed!) and she talked me through the pros and cons, leaving me to make my mind up about whether I would proceed but in a totally non-judgemental way. I was amazed - it's the first time I have ever experienced that approach, and it was a very welcome change.

Still haven't had the ophthalmology appointment. Something else to worry about.

But at least the elephant is beginning to take shape in a public arena.

No comments: