Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Forgiveness at last?

Today, I visited my GP - only about severe hay fever. If you read this blog regularly, you'll know that I did not feel happy about the way my cancer was addressed when I had it; I was told it was 'your age' or that 'you're depressed' and even made to feel that I was malingering. In among the many visits to my GP, the one that stands out as being supportive was when I saw the then-registrar attached to the practice. She suggested bringing my appointment with the consultant forward but since it was three weeks from then, I declined - bringing it forward would only have saved a week and, by that point, it would have made no difference. I wish I'd seen her sooner, though.

Since then, I've harboured uncharitable thoughts about my GP practice, but I'd always hoped that I'd meet the registrar again and be able to thank her for listening to me and actually trying to make a difference. You've guessed it! The GP I saw today is, in fact, that registrar. She's now a partner in the practice and as sensible as she was as a registrar. So, I was able to thank her and to explain why I'd had such negative feelings about the practice as a whole; in other words, I was able to provide feedback that I didn't feel able to give to the doctors who caused the problem in the first place. I hope the feedback will go to the right place.

Finally, after almost six years, I feel as though I've made some sort of progress. The question now, of course, is whether I can 'forgive and forget' - the lack of an apology of any sort for the 'mistake' (as they called it) doesn't encourage a forgiving approach, but maybe it's time to move on now.

No comments: