Saturday, May 16, 2009

Musing

I realised on Tuesday or so, as I trudged through the sun and wind attached to two slobbering dogs, that I haven't been walking as much as I did last year, and I am now resolved to address this. I definitely do feel better when I've been for a walk, and a daily route march, particularly accompanied by harumphing four-leggeds, increases my sense of well-being to the extent that I don't focus in on the tiniest ache or pain and begin to worry about it. In fact, the aches and pains reduce. Much though I hate to say it, all those annoying things you read about the benefits of exercise (within reason!) do seem to be true.

Why haven't I been walking? Two reasons: 1) the weather - I hate getting blown across the street by unseemly tornadoes and 2) volume of work! These days, I have more work than I can cope with, mainly because I worry about how to pay the bills when the work dries up. While a lot of what I do involves peering at computer screens and not moving around sufficiently, some of this work is surprisingly physical - invigilating national exams in exam halls requires a lot of standing around and / or pacing up and down. It doesn't, however, replace a proper walk.

Thought for today then: must try to walk more regularly again!

No comments: